USS Blakeley DD150
|Built by||William Cramp and Sons (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.)|
|Laid down||26 Mar 1918|
|Launched||19 Sep 1918|
|Commissioned||8 May 1919|
|Decommissioned||21 Jul 1945 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania|
|End service||Stricken 31 August 1945|
||Decommissioned at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Pennsylvania on 29 June 1922
Recommissioned on 16 October 1939
15.52 hours on 25 May 1942, the USS Blakeley (Lt Cdr Mitchell Dudley
Matthews, USN) was patrolling off Martinique in the French West Indies,
when she was hit by a torpedo from the German submarine
U-156 which carried away 60 feet of her bow.
The explosion killed six men and wounded 21,
but the ship did not sink and reached Port de France, Martinique for
emergency repairs. After additional repairs in Port Castries, Santa Lucia
and in San Juan, Puerto Rico the Blakeley steamed to Philadelphia where
she was refitted with the bow taken from her stricken sister ship USS
Taylor (DD 94) and was thoroughly overhauled. She returned to duty in the
Caribbean in September 1942.
Sold 30 November 1945 and broken up for scrap.