HMS Mackay (D70)
|Built by:||Cammell Laird Shipyard (Birkenhead, U.K.)|
|Laid down:||5 Mar, 1918|
|Launched:||21 Dec, 1918|
|Commissioned:||19 May, 1919|
coverted into a long-range escort at the outbreak f WWI with a reduced gun
armament but carrying a complement of 50 DCs.
In May 1940 she took part in the evacuation of Dukerque, in 2/1941 was with Capt Pizey's Division when it attempted attacking Scharnhorst & Gneisenau as they returned to Germany via the Channel but failed to get in range.
Spent a short time escorting Russian convoy then switched to the East coast where she remained until the Normandy invasion. On 6/6/44 she was escorting one of the invasion convoys.
Sold to be broken up for scrap on 18 February 1947.